Each year Pick Everard attends several careers fairs across the UK, for early careers and university students. These fairs are usually held in person, allowing students to approach the recruitment stand and discuss with the recruiter, alumni, or industry professional, their course, experience, and future aspirations. However, this year things will be running a little different, with most fairs being hosted online, on a virtual platform.
As universities, colleges and industry bodies adapt to the changes and challenges that hosting a virtual careers fair can bring, they are still keen to ensure their students have the opportunity to liaise with relevant companies.
To ensure, as a student, you make the most out of these virtual fairs, it is important to be prepared! Below are several hints and tips to ensure you make the most out of the day:
- Find out what companies are attending and who are relevant for you
- Research the companies that stand out – look at their website, careers page and social media feeds. This can provide insight and ensures you are prepared with relevant talking points and questions
- Establish if there are any virtual sessions being hosted and make sure you arrive on time – this shows the recruiter and employee that you are dependable and respectful of their time
- Dress to impress – even if the virtual platform doesn’t host a camera function, presenting yourself well will boost your confidence
- Update your CV so when you are able to engage with the relevant employers or apply for vacancies you are able to action this promptly
- Understand how companies promote their opportunities and what is the standard application process
- Create a LinkedIn account and ensure your profile sets you apart - this professional networking platform allows you to connect with employers and companies
At Pick Everard we ensure all our opportunities are advertised on our website or through the universities or colleges directly. We look to encourage and inspire the next generation of construction and property professionals, by providing opportunities for work experience, sponsorship, summer placements and graduate roles.
For further information on our opportunities visit our careers page or get in contact with myself, Hope Thorley, Resourcing Advisor - email@example.com
Virtual career fairs are just like traditional ones, where employers gather to meet with job seekers and discuss employment opportunities. The only difference here is that it’s held virtually on an interactive platform.